A tummy tuck is an effective way to tone and sculpt your abdominal region by removing excess fat and skin and tightening loose abdominal muscles. Indianapolis plastic surgeon Dr. Joseph Fata has helped many patients achieve dramatic body contouring results with a tummy tuck. However, the procedure is not for everyone.
At your initial consultation, Dr. Fata will evaluate your muscle laxity, skin elasticity, type and quantity of belly fat, and degree of stretch marks to determine if a tummy tuck is the right procedure to address your aesthetic goals. Please call 317-565-1009 to set up this first appointment.
It is important to have realistic expectations for the outcome of your procedure. A tummy tuck cannot give you the perfect body, and it is not a tool for weight loss. However, it can enhance your figure and provide a more toned abdomen and waist. This often results in a boost in self-esteem and increased feelings of attractiveness.
It is important to realize that your tummy tuck will leave a scar. Dr. Fata will make the incisions in a location that will conceal your scars underneath clothing. However, it is unrealistic to expect that you can undergo a tummy tuck and not have any scarring following the procedure.
Ideal Tummy Tuck Candidates
Ideal tummy tuck candidates are in good overall health, somewhere close to an appropriate body weight, and have realistic expectations. Beyond these basic criteria, a tummy tuck can be an ideal procedure for the following people:
- Men and women with excess abdominal fat or loose skin in the region
- Women who are looking to restore their figure following pregnancy – in particular, women who have weak, separated, or stretched abdominal muscles and skin due to one or more pregnancies
- Men and women who have excess loose, hanging skin following gastric bypass surgery or massive weight loss
- Older men and women who have lost skin elasticity in the abdominal region due to aging, resulting in sagging skin
There are many men and women who may be candidates for a tummy tuck even if they are overweight. They will still lose inches and have a significantly improved body contour. However, they need to adjust their expectations accordingly as they will not get the same result they would if they were close to their ideal weight. Weight loss that occurs after surgery may improve their results from surgery.
In some cases, Dr. Fata may recommend a modified tummy tuck procedure to more effectively address your goals, such as:
Who is Not a Candidate?
The following factors may rule you out as a tummy tuck candidate:
- Women who plan to become pregnant again – future pregnancies can adversely impact the results of your tummy tuck. However, in certain situations, such as pregnancy at a very young age, conservative modifications to a tummy tuck can be made to accommodate them.
- Individuals who are not comfortable with the presence of a potentially substantial scar along the bikini line
- Smokers – smoking prior to and immediately following surgery can adversely impact the healing process and increase your risk of complications, such as infection and wound breakdown.
- Men and women who are so overweight as to be classified as obese.
Please contact Renaissance Plastic Surgery online or call 317-565-1009 today to schedule your initial tummy tuck consultation. Dr. Joseph Fata serves patients in Indianapolis, Indiana, and elsewhere in the Midwest.